I have been asked to give my thoughts for this year – so after pondering here they are!
Already many resolutions will have been broken – we are fickle, and although our intentions may be good, our flesh is weak. Thank God that He values our intentions but we need to learn to “lean” on our beloved to see them transform into lasting actions – see blog of 13th December 2014.
As we enter the New Year we revert to our routines – work, school, family life, church – our year is carved into chunks of time where certain things have to happen. This is not bad, but as believers I think we need to strongly consider that business is NOT as normal. We cannot “lean” on our schedule, our habits, our bank accounts or in fact anything that is not Jesus Himself.
Even a mere glance at the news should be enough to alert us to the increasing lawlessness, rage and fear that is rampaging across the globe.
- The earth is groaning at a more rapid and continual rate than has been seen before – the extreme weather conditions alone during the whole of 2014 is such evidence of this;
- Economies are straining under so many sticky plasters it’s difficult to find the real cause of the pain any longer;
- Immorality is reaching peak levels with pornography, murder, human trafficking, slavery, paedophilia, homosexuality and theft at previously unknown depths of depravity – and increasing with such speed
- So many families are broken, foundations are smashed to pieces, many are totally unaware of any benchmark of right or wrong;
- Self-harming figures in the 12-13 year olds tell us that 1 in 12 children in this age bracket in the UK are systematically and daily cutting themselves through lack of self-worth and emotional pain.
- Obesity, depression, and other mental health issues affect the majority of the western population
- Education is rivalling finance as the prevalent god of our age where many seek to rob innocence in the name of "education"
- As a society we pass the buck, shift the blame, and avoid responsibility believing our own rights are of paramount importance.
So, anything new under the sun? (Ecc 1:9) No, but I think when we look at the overall picture, with a biblical view of eternity, we will see that human history is heading towards its climatic peak!